Early Intervention Therapy Playgroups (Pre-kinder)
Gateways runs therapy playgroups in Geelong (Stepping Stones and Little Hoppers) and Werribee for pre-kinder age children who have a developmental delay and or specific diagnosis.
The playgroups are conducted jointly by an occupational therapist and speech pathologist. They work in partnership with you and your child during the sessions to develop the following key skills:
- Social skills developed through specific activities
- Communication including gaining eye contact and attention, basic signing, following simple routines and directions, developing language skills
- Learning & thinking developing problem solving, thinking and play skills through imaginative play, imitation and visual activities.
- Sensory development through activities including finger painting, climbing, rocking and spinning
- Physical skills that develop gross and fine motor skills including moving through equipment, dancing, jumping, puzzles, painting and drawing.
- Self care including eating and drinking, following hygiene routines, dressing and toileting.
Each session addresses a range of the above developmental skills and will include indoor play, group music and reading books, snack time as well as outdoor play.
The group also gives parents a chance to share ideas and talk with other families attending the playgroup.