Early Intervention Therapy Playgroups (Pre-kinder)
Gateways runs two therapy playgroups in Geelong, Stepping Stones and Little Hoppers, for pre-kinder age children who have a developmental delay and or specific diagnosis.
The playgroups are conducted jointly by an occupational therapist and speech pathologist. They work in partnership with you and your child during the sessions to develop the following key skills:
- Social skills developed through specific activities
- Communication including gaining eye contact and attention, basic signing, following simple routines and directions, developing language skills
- Learning & thinking developing problem solving, thinking and play skills through imaginative play, imitation and visual activities.
- Sensory development through activities including finger painting, climbing, rocking and spinning
- Physical skills that develop gross and fine motor skills including moving through equipment, dancing, jumping, puzzles, painting and drawing.
- Self care including eating and drinking, following hygiene routines, dressing and toileting.
Each session addresses a range of the above developmental skills and will include indoor play, group music and reading books, snack time as well as outdoor play.
The group also gives parents a chance to share ideas and talk with other families attending the playgroup.
Where are the playgroups held?
The Stepping Stones group meets on a Thursday morning from 9.15am until 11.15am during the school term at the Greenville Children’s Centre, Greenville Drive in Grovedale, Geelong. This playgroup is fully subscribed for Term 1.
The Little Hoppers group meets on a Wednesday morning from 9.30am-11.30am during the school term at the Greenville Children’s Centre, Greenville Drive in Grovedale, Geelong. This program still has places available for Term 1.
How do I find out more?
Download a copy of the Early Intervention Therapy Playgroup (Pre-Kinder) flyer or to register your interest, please contact us or complete and submit the registration form Registration form.