Early Years Therapy for 1-7 year-olds
Helping your child gain the building blocks for inclusion is the very heart of Gateways’ Early Years Therapy services.
For children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and other developmental concerns, early intervention can help build skills, promote development, support inclusion in social groups and preschool programs and work towards school readiness.
Gateways’ Early Years Therapy Services can begin with children as young as 12 months, with services and programs designed to support youngsters aged up to seven years. Our team has expertise in ASD, development delay, intellectual disabilities and complex behaviours.
Our Early Intervention Services are available in Geelong, Surf Coast, Colac Otway regions, Werribee, Footscray and western Melbourne, Warrnambool and South West Victoria.
The aim of these services is to help develop you child’s:
- Learning skills
- Self-help skills
- Sensory awareness
- Social skills
- Positive behaviour
Gateways Early Childhood Intervention team
First, it starts with you. We understand and respect that no one knows your child like you do. That’s why all our Early Years Therapy services and programs have families as their focus.
We spend time getting to know your child and your family to gain a thorough understanding of what you want and how best to achieve that in a way that flexibly meets your needs and expectations.
We also educate families, carers and early years educators, explaining therapy options and benefits and equipping the many people in your child’s life with the skills and knowledge to keep supporting your child outside formal therapy sessions.
Working closely with you and your family is our multi-disciplinary Early Childhood Intervention team, made up of:
- Speech Pathologist to assess and provide strategies to promote communication development and eating skills. This may include understanding and using spoken language, alternative communication methods and social stories to promote understanding.
- Occupational Therapist to assist by assessing needs and developing strategies in the areas of independence skills (eg dressing, toileting, using utensils), fine motor skills, sensory issues, and advice about appropriate equipment.
- Key Worker to provide information about the range of services available to families, empowering them to make informed choices. the Key Worker is the main professional providing early intervention support to children with an ECEI NDIS package.
Where can I access these services?
Formal therapy sessions make up a small part of your child’s week. That’s why the best results lie in creating a coordinated program that ties in with your home life, as well as kinder or childcare settings. Services can be provided at:
- The family home,
- The child’s kindergarten,
- A childcare centre,
- Family Day Care,
- Gateways offices
- The Gateways Children’s Centre at Grovedale or,
- Other locations requested by the family.
Who is eligible?
Therapy services can be provided using funding through the National Disability Insurance Scheme Early Childhood Early Intervention (ECEI) for children aged up to 7 years. Learn more about NDIS funding
To register for therapy services please complete a Therapy Request Form or for more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or contact our Early Years Therapy team on phone 03 5221 2984 (ext 108) or mobile 0409 581 421.
Gateways also offers a range of group programs designed for children aged 1-7 years and their families. Find out more.
We take our responsibility for safeguarding children very seriously. Download our Safeguarding Children brochure.