Centrelink supports for parents & carers

At this weeks Autism & Asperger Parent Support Group, we were thrilled to have Lauren from Centrelink join us to talk about the different supports available to parents and carers.  It was also a great chance for people to connect with other families and sharing similar issues.

Some of the valuable information Lauren shared included how new technologies are making it easier for parent and carers to access Centrelink services. Some useful information also included:

  • Use the Centrelink website: The Centrelink website includes lots of useful information for parents and carers including the current eligibility requirements for the Disabiltiy and Carers Payment, Allowance and Pensions. This Guide to Australian Government payments provides information about Centrelink Disability and Carer payments and services available.
  • Create a myGov account: Creating a myGov account  is a simple and secure way to access government services online. Once you have created your myGov account you can then link your Centrelink account and other government online services and use the one login and password to manage your accounts. To make linking easier, make sure you have easy access to relevant service information such as a Medicare card, Centrelink CRN or bank statement. If you need help creating your account click here and read the ‘need help’ section.
  • Carer Gateway: The Carer Gateway website is a great place to start for support and services. It is a national online and phone service that provides practical information and resources to support carers. The interactive service finder helps carers connect to local support services.
  • My Health Record: My Health Record is the national digital health record system. Registering for My Health Record means your important health information like allergies, medical conditions and treatments, medicine details test or scan reports can be digitally available in one place.
  • Contacting Centrelink by phone: If you’re calling Centrelink here are some helpful numbers:
    1. Disability & Carers 132 717 Call this number to talk about Carer payments, Carer allowances and Disability Support pension
    2. Self service line 136 240 Call this number to hear about options relevant to the payment you are on
    3. Reporting line 133 276 Call this number to report your fortnightly income
  • Computers are available to use at Service Centres: If you don’t have a computer at home you can visit one of the service centres and use the self service terminals.
  • Specialist staff: Centrelink staff are trained in different specific areas such as Employment or Disability. You may not be able to speak face to face with a staff member trained in the area relevant to you when you visit a centre.  You will be able to do this by telephone.
  • Update them if your situation changes: People often approach Centrelink when they are experiencing separation or divorce. Staff can discuss payments you may be eligible for.  Complete the paperwork as to your current circumstances to get the assessment and payments underway.  Separation/divorce can be a lengthy process that can directly impact on your Centrelink status, so Centrelink advise you to update any changes to finances, caring responsibilities, etc as quickly as possible to avoid unexpected or inaccurate payment adjustments.
Thanks to Lauren from Centrelink for sharing lots of useful information at our Gateways Autism & Asperger’s Parent Support Group
New to GatewaysIntake Inquiry
Geelong (Head Office)
03 5221 2984
12-14 Thompson Rd
North Geelong,
Western Melbourne
03 9396 1111
77 Droop St
03 9749 7388
3 Princes Highway
03 5562 8271
171 Lava Street