Gateways provide a range of weekday recreation and skill development programs supporting adults who have a disability or additional needs.
Our programs support people with a disability to participate in a range of fun, leisure and recreational activities, learn new skills as well as maintaining existing skills, like self help and independence. We also encourage people to develop social skills by becoming more involved in the community.
Our experienced, qualified staff offer a ‘person centred’ approach to build on each individual’s strengths and interests.
Weekday Program – Social Connect
Social Connect is based in Geelong and runs Monday to Friday from 9am to 3pm. It provides individualised support for adults with a disability, including people with complex needs. It gives them the opportunity to increase their independence and involvement in the community. The program is based from 2 Gateways sites in Geelong, where there are a range of outdoor and indoor options, including a sensory room. It supports people to:
- Build independence
- Build social skills
- Facilitate community volunteering
- Provide work experience
- Express creativity
- Participate in recreation
- Ensure people do things they enjoy and can succeed at
- Support people to try new opportunities
- Physical activities such as swimming, gym, bushwalking, trampolining, bike riding, aqua aerobics.
- Learning activities: communication, travel training, budgeting, money handling, shopping, reading.
- Independence & living skills: cooking, household tasks, personal care.
- Personal development: social skills, expressing yourself, developing relationships
- Creative activities: painting, collage, music
- Sensory activities: Sand activities, beach activities, textures, sensory room, music
- Community: library, shops, cafes, museums, events, BBQs
Who is eligible
The program offers individualised support for a person with a disability 18 years or older, who has NDIS funding for 1:1 or 1:2 staff support.
To find out more about these programs, contact the Social Connect Program Manager by emailing Lisa.Brotherton@gateways.com.au or call 5221 2984