Gateways provide a range of weekday recreation and skill development programs supporting adults who have a disability or additional needs.
Our programs support people with a disability to participate in a range of fun, leisure and recreational activities, learn new skills as well as maintaining existing skills, like self-help and independence. We also encourage people to develop social skills by becoming more involved in the community.
Our experienced, qualified staff offer a ‘person centred’ approach to build on each individual’s strengths and interests.
Weekday Program – Social Connect
Social Connect is based in Geelong and runs Monday to Friday from 9am to 3pm. It provides individualised support for adults with a disability, including people with complex needs. It gives them the opportunity to increase their independence and involvement in the community. The program is based at 2 Gateways sites in Geelong, where there are a range of outdoor and indoor options, including a sensory room. It supports people to:
- Build independence
- Build social skills
- Get involved in the community
- Gain work experience
- Express creativity
- Participate in recreation activities
- Experience things they enjoy and can succeed at
- Try new opportunities
- Physical activities: swimming, gym, bushwalking, trampolining, bike riding, aqua aerobics.
- Learning activities: communication, travel training, budgeting, money handling, shopping, reading.
- Independence & living skills: cooking, household tasks, personal care.
- Personal development: social skills, expressing yourself, developing relationships
- Creative activities: painting, collage, music
- Sensory activities: Sand activities, beach activities, textures, sensory room, music
- Community: library, shops, cafes, museums, events, BBQs
Who is eligible
The program offers individualised support for a person with a disability 18 years or older, who has NDIS funding for 1:1 or 1:2 staff support.
To find out more about this program please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 5221 2984.