The Kindergarten Inclusion Support Program provides support to educators who have a child with a disability attending their state funded Kindergarten program. This program is available in the Geelong & Barwon, Warrnambool & South West regions.
Please refer to our COVID-19 Current Services Update page for a regularly updated list of available services, including Gateways Online programs.
This program has been amazing for our son who has moved forward in leaps and bounds. The program has enabled him to further his social skills and attempt to make some friends. The enjoyment he has now at kinder is incredible…Parent
What is the Kindergarten Inclusion Support Packages Program?
The Kindergarten Inclusion Support Packages Program is funded by the Victorian Department of Education and Training to support the inclusion of children with a disability and complex support needs attending 4 year old state-funded kindergartens in the Geelong and Barwon, Warrnambool and South West areas. The support assists kindergarten staff to deliver a high quality educational program for all children attending.
The Kindergarten teaching team, parents and specialist staff meet once a term to set realistic goals and provide feedback on your child’s progress.
The type of support that might be provided through this program includes:
- Additional staffing support through an Additional Assistant (AA) who:
- works under the direction of the Kindergarten teacher to provide a high quality program.
- works with all children in the group to carry out general kindergarten assistant duties including supervising play, supporting children with different activities and helping with routines.
- assists with recording the children’s experiences at Kindergarten.
- Specific training and specialist consultancy for early childhood educators to build capacity of kindergartens to provide inclusive programs for all children
- Contributions in funding towards minor building modifications to the service, that help to ensure the safety and accessibility of all children to the program
Who Is Eligible?
To be eligible for this program, a group needs to have a child attending who has a severe disability and/or complex medical need, and at least one of the following:
- Is at significant risk of injury to self or others.
- Is extremely restricted in their capacity for movement.
- Has exceptional medical support needs.
How can parents/carers make an application to be involved in this program?
Applications are to be completed by the Kindergarten Service.
Kindergarten services and Early intervention providers will have information on the application process. The process is undertaken by the kindergarten your child is enrolled in to attend. The first round of applications closes on the last day of term 3 in the year prior to attendance. Late applications can be submitted and considered throughout the year in accordance with the KIS guidelines.
These applications are then considered by the Regional Advisory Group to determine eligibility and to allocate support.
For more information contact the Kindergarten Inclusion Support Coordinator at Gateways via Contact Us or by phoning 5221 2984.