Gateways acknowledges that the Australian population has a rich fabric of diverse backgrounds, languages, life experiences and expectations and we value and respect the diversity and contributions that many cultures bring.
We are committed to the delivery of culturally responsive supports and services to meet the needs of the diverse population in the communities that we work in. This means recognising and responding to the particular needs of the Cultural and Linguistic Diversity (CALD) members of our community in regards to their culture, diversity, values and beliefs.
CALD participants with an NDIS plan can access the Translation and Interpreting Services – TIS National services which provides immediate phone interpreting, pre-booked phone interpreting and on-site interpreting.
- For immediate phone interpreting services, phone 131 450
- Phone interpreting services can also be pre-booked via the TIS National website
- For more information, visit the NDIS website
You can also find free, reputable, multilingual resources via the links below:
- The NDIS website has a suite of resources about the NDIS translated into various languages.
- Health Translations is an online library of over 22,000 free, reliable translated health resources produced in Australia.
- The Multicultural Centre For Women’s Health Multilingual Library Online Catalogue has over 5,000 resources in over 70 languages on women’s health and wellbeing.
To improve accessibility of information for our CALD service users, the Gateways website has a ‘Google Translate’ tab at the top of the page to translate any website text into many different languages.
If you would like to translate downloadable PDFs, such as program brochures or flyers, we have provided instructions on how to do this using a free, online translator. Please note that while Google Translate will provide a basic interpretation, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or cultural sensitivity of these translations.
Directions for translating our brochures via free web portal Online DocTranslator:
- Save the brochure from our website to your computer by right clicking and selecting ‘save as’. It will be in PDF format.
- Visit Online DocTranslator and scroll down the page until you see a button that says ‘translate now’.
- Click ‘translate now’ and upload the file that you just saved to your computer.
- It will automatically detect the language as English, you then need select the language you would like the brochure to be translated in to. Please note that not all languages are available.
- Once you select the desired language, click ‘translate now’ and the document will be translated for you. You can then download or save the translated document onto your computer for use.
If you have any issues using the above translating portal, contact email@example.com with the document you would like translated and the language and we will do our best to help you.
Gateways acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which it provides services and pays respect to the Custodians and Elders past, present and emerging.