Strengthening Parent Support Program (SPSP)
Gateways Support Services Strengthening Parent Support Program is a free service delivered in the Geelong region. This program aims to empower, support and capacity build with families, parents and carers, caring for a child with disability or additional need (0-18yrs).
The Gateways SPSP Worker can:
- Provide individualised information and support via telephone, email or face to face
- Link you to advocacy services to provide support at planning meetings
- Organise guest speakers, workshops and information sessions relating to parenting and disability
- Provide support via disability specific parent support groups
- Provide informative updates via our monthly Gateways newsletter
- Respect your privacy and confidentiality at all times
- Provide community education to professionals, service providers, students and the general community regarding issues for families of children with a disability
- Take feedback and suggestions regarding parent needs and support that are not currently being met
Support groups currently running: (for a copy of dates specific to the relevant term, please contact the SPSP worker)
- Healthy Carers Walking Group – 9:30am @ Geelong Waterfront Ferris Wheel every Monday during term
This parent support group is for carers taking some time to focus on their own health. This is a gentle walking group running rain, hail or shine.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Parent Information and Support Group – 10am @ Gateways PLACE 1st Tuesday of the month during term
This group is for parents and carers with a child aged 0-18 with a diagnoses of ASD.
- ADHD & ADD Parent Support Group – 10am @ Gateways PLACE 2nd Tuesday of the month during term
This group is for parents and carers of children with ADHD/ADD aged up to 18 years.
- NDIS Parent Connect – 10am @ Gateways PLACE 3rd Tuesday of the month during term
This is a group with an NDIS focus. It is for parents and carers who have a child aged 0-18 who are receiving NDIS funding or planning on entering the scheme.
- After Hours Parent Support Group—7:30pm via ZOOM first Wednesday of the month during term
This group is for parents and carers of children with any disability or complex need, who are unable to attend groups during the week.
For more information about this free service contact Gateways SPSP Worker via Contact Us or calling 5221 2984.
Please see below additional support groups available in the Geelong region:
Bethany Kinship Care Service Support Groups – 1300 557 611. Kinship Care refers to a relative or close friend having primary care of a child who cannot live with their parents.
BRAINS – Contact Jen on 0429 040 534 or Vanda on 5257 3404. BRAINS is a support, information and advocacy group for carers who have a family member/child with an acquired brain injury (ABI). Meets monthly in Newcomb.
Barwon Valley Parent Support – Please contact Sonya Gregorio, Wellbeing Officer at the school, for details on 5243 1813.
City of Greater Geelong Supported Playgroups – Please contact Sue Ellis for locations and further details at COGG on 52724781 or firstname.lastname@example.org. COGG offer a number of facilitated playgroups for children with additional needs.
Down Syndrome Parents and Carers Group – Contact Julie Penfold on 0407 886 954 or email@example.com. Warm and welcoming group for parents and carers of children with Down Syndrome (with a focus on younger children). There are various catch-ups over the year.
Grow Caregivers Group – Contact Kiran on 0448 051 540 or 1800 558 268 for more information, or www.grow.org.au. This group is for people caring for someone with mental health issues. It runs twice per month in Geelong on the second and fourth Wednesday from 1-3pm at Salvation Army.
Lara Coffee Group – Contact Aileen Wiesebrock for dates on 5282 3414. This group is for parents of children with various disabilities and meets to have a coffee and a chat in a friendly, informal setting at Xpresso Café in Lara, monthly on a Friday during school term.
Nelson Park Parent Group – Contact Stacey Maxwell, Student Well Being Officer on 5278 3620 or email Nelson.firstname.lastname@example.org. This group is for parents and carers of students attending the school and meets at Nelson Park Special School.
Early Days Workshop – Amaze (Autism Victoria) facilitates these workshops in Victoria 1300 307 909. Early days workshops are for parents and carers of children 0-6 with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), or who are currently undergoing a diagnosis. Workshops promote the development of children on the autism spectrum.
Geelong Parent Network – Contact Brian for information on: 0437 370 443 or email@example.com. This is an informal group made up of members who are family carers of people with intellectual disabilities in the Geelong Region.