You can make an important difference as a Gateways volunteer helping children and adults with disabilities to enjoy fun activities and participate in the community with their friends.
By volunteering you are helping your community and yourself by:
- Gaining new skills and work experience
- Exploring career opportunities
- Learning something about yourself
- Meeting new people.
- Help children and adults with a disability/additional need feel valued, included and supported.
Whether it’s a regular commitment or something you do once or twice a year, all volunteering is important.
Who can volunteer?
- Anyone 16 years and over can volunteer for the recreation group programs.
- You need to be over 18 for the Interchange Host Program.
- No prior experience necessary
- People with an open mind and willing attitude
- People with lots of patience
- People with a sense of humor and a team spirit
All volunteers undergo an interview, referee check and a Criminal Records Check. If you are over 18 you will also need a Working With Children Card. After this you will be invited to an orientation and training session.
Gateways values the amazing contribution of our volunteers. We wouldn’t be able to run as many programs and support children and adults with disabilities if it wasn’t for them. Our volunteers give a lot, they also receive so much in return. Click here to hear their experiences or read their stories below. We have been...
The Interchange Program matches a person with a disability with a volunteer host / host family who provides regular respite for the child, including them in their family activities on a regular basis. This may be a day out, an overnight stay or just having a play at your house. Interchange Program hosts/volunteers are everyday...
Gateways run various group programs for children and young adults with a disability (from Primary school through to adults) Volunteers encourage & support the children & adults to actively participate in the recreation programs. Some examples of the different activities you might participate in as a Recreation Volunteer include, a trip to a wildlife park,...